In Saudi Arabia, Industrial Designs are governed by the Saudi Patent Office (SPO), one of the directorates of Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property (SAIP); a government body responsible for the protection and supporting of intellectual property rights in the Kingdom.
The Saudi Patent Office (SPO) aims to provide protection for inventions, the layout- designs of integrated circuits, plant varieties and industrial designs in the Kingdom.
The Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property (SAIP) was formed under the initiatives of the Trade and Investment System within the National Transformation Program 2020 for the unification of the competent authorities that have direct relation with the protection of the intellectual property rights in the Kingdom, under one umbrella.
As per Article 2 of the governing Laws, an Industrial design is a composition of 2D lines or colors or any 3D shape that gives an industrial product or product of traditional craft a special appearance. Industrial designs are not limited to items with functional or technical purposes, but also include textiles.
- Examination: Substantive Examination is not applicable. Only Formal Examinations as per Article 13 of the Laws exists.
- Time Frame: Within one month from the filing date (will be delayed depending up on the time taken to submit the supporting documents).
- Priority Term: Within 6 months from the prior filing.
- Protection period: 10 years from the filing date.
- Annual fees: Due at the beginning of each calendar year after filing and payable within 3 months (1st January to 31 st March).
Grounds for Registration (Article 59):
Novelty (“to be new”).
Visibility of the design.
Distinguishing features from known designs.
Grounds for Non-registration (Article 4):
If the commercial application of the design violates the Shari'ah (Islamic) Laws.
If the commercial application of the design is harmful to life, to human, animal or plant health, or is substantially harmful to the environment.
At the Time of Filing:
1. A copy of the model or design preferably in JPG/JPEG Format of 625×955
pixels. If it is three-dimensional, copies of each view of the model are required.
2. Description of the model or design together with the relevant drawings. For three-dimensional models, description of each view of the model is required.
3. General information required:
Name and address of the applicant.
Name and address of the designor(s).
Details of the Priority Application.
i. Country of filing.
ii. Application number and filing date.
To be submitted within 90 Days of Filing:
1. A Power of Attorney to our Law Firm, executed by the applicant(s), duly notarized and legalized up to the Saudi Consulate.
2. A Deed of Assignment (if applicable) executed by the designer(s), duly notarized and legalized up to the Saudi Consulate.
3. A certified copy of the priority document(s) along with its Arabic translation.